Friday 6 July 2012

Do Not Try This At Home

So this will not be something advocated by any health care professional.  Isn't that the best way to start a health related blog piece?!  I only share this story as a conversation piece, and because I feel in control of my diabetes and my body - possibly misplaced feeling of control considering how this story goes.

The other night I was laying in bed and thought I hadn't bolused for my late snack or, as I thought about it, my late night snack.  So I lay in bed and bolused for both.  Less than fifteen minutes later I was still watching TV in bed and felt myself getting a low blood sugar.  I dutifully went downstairs and tested, and I was low (4.0), especially just before going to sleep.  I ate my 15g of quick carbs and a granola bar.  Testing 10 minutes later my blood sugar was well on it's way up, so I headed to bed again.  Thought of a problem though....I just bolused another 5.4 units of insulin, which has hardly had a good chance to run through my system, so I will be very low overnight.

At that point I remembered I had given myself a bolus at super time, so I effectively gave a large bolus for no reason.  I REALLY did not want to easy any more to absorb the mistaken bolus I had taken.  My solution was to reduce my basal insulin amount to almost 0% for the overnight hours.  The result was a perfect morning BG of 6.2.  Times like this I wish I had a CGM connected to see what my overnight readings were.

Bear in mind I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS COURSE OF ACTION!  There are many things I did wrong, but highlight the fact I am human.  Never take your insulin regimen for granted, know what you are doing, consider all actions you have taken and will take, and most importantly don't panic.  This could have just as easily happened on a traditional syringe therapy, as well, however knowing what options the pump can afford me, I was able to come up with a creative solution.

No comments:

Post a Comment